Wednesday, May 25, 2005

there's another one in here to add to your lists 'to read'

Hi Tara, Good to hear from you -- as always.

Apart from 'War of the Worlds' and 'The Lion the Witch and The Wardrobe' I haven't read any of the books that you mentioned. I'm tempted to read 'Sputnik Sweetheart' by Murakami, largely because of your enthusiasm and the extracts in your blog. Incidently, the first book I remember reading (also when 4 years old) was The Hobbit.

I used to have thousands of books and gave most of them away -- but I still have hundreds in the attics and bookshelves of friends that are looking after them for me. These days I tend to only read Plato or Nietzsche for pleasure, but I'm currently working through the classics of Marx and Engels as part of the preparation for my next book. Not light reading, that's for sure, but, at points, especially his early work, Marx is very poetical and passionate in his writing. And I was delighted when the first copy of my book arrived in the post last week. It felt great to hold it my hands. Finally.

Anyway, I have a funny relationship with books these days and rarely read just for pleasure (except Plato or Nietzsche). I can't actually remember the last novel that I read. I think that it was K-Pax by Gene Brewer or was it The Handmaiden's Tale by Margret Attwood? Those were the last two I remember reading, but that was about five years ago. Maybe I've read a novel since then, on a plane or train, but I just don't remember it. Usually, I just read philosophy books.

However, I am currently reading a play in Spanish about the last few hours of Che Guevara's life, and I'm enjoying that, but it is hard work for me and I have to use a dictionary quite a lot. But, all in all, for pleasure, I largely just like to travel, quietly think, or enjoy the company of others, over a good meal and some wine. I enjoy good conversation much more than reading. I used to like watching movies quite a lot, but I've become tired of leaving cinemas feeling disappointed and a little frustrated. So I don't tend to go to the cinema much. I think that the last movie that I enjoyed was 'Hero', which was also enhanced by the fact that it was in chinese with spanish subtitles and I had to translate for my friend who couldn't read spanish -- fortunately, being a classical chinese story it was extremely easy to follow visually, but I was able to follow the gist of the dialogue without too much effort and I just made up the rest.

As for plays, musicals, and opera? I guess that I'm just a TV generation kid. But I've enjoyed going to a theatre, when I've gone. But I generally have to be quite stoned to enjoy opera. Having said that, the last time I went to a theatre was last year to see an operatic version of Don Quixote -- it was very good, actually, but because of my very poor grasp of spanish, especially then, I didn't realise that it was for children when I bought the tickets. Very funny. But it is odd. Everytime that I have gone to the theatre to see a play, opera,or show, then I have enjoyed it. I should go more often. I remember seeing you perform in that play in Bath (what was its name?) and I enjoyed that. Largely because you were in it. I'd like to see you in a play again, some day... ...

anyway, I'm going to have some lunch. So bye for now, love, Karl.

listening to: Andres Segovia chopin - prelude in A

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.