Sunday, April 03, 2005

what we can not. . .

We know already what we cannot do.
So, what does that leave us-?
What approaches or approximations,
What signs and signals can we pass between us?
Not doing-but coming close to?

You may tell me something using only gestures-
Letting my mind fill the blanks in.
Or, you may suggest with an eyebrow or smile
The content of the space at your finger's end.
You can un-speak the syllables that your open mouth assures.

Certainly, I may smile, glance, or lean-
I may suggest or allude to
Suggestions. I may say your name.
But, can I think of what we could do-
Vaguely willing you to guess what I mean?

Perhaps a certain manner of touch is allowed-
Touch of Knees? Brush of Fingertips?
Surely, not hands! Maybe Shoulder- or Elbow?
Maybe Calves, Arms, or Hips.
Maybe parts you wouldn't (couldn't) say out loud.

Or, maybe, we can do what we like-
but, what would that be?
You or I have never had to choose.
It could be that this is what you want, and-
If that is true then this too, is best for me.

Not a word. Not a touch. No hand.
Not a brush, or a thought.
No blind, wild rush-
But, the truth is, I don't care what we can not-
I care only about what possibly we can.

- N


Not a word, not a breath, not a brush, nor a thought... walls every way i turn, doors shut, and i try to think that it is for the best, but questions crowd in on the silence and sounds rise up like phantom waves that i alone hear in a storm of nothing, old pains carressed with salt. Is he sad, is he happy, has he chosen to forget and walk on into future minutes with my iamge shut in pages of yesterdays book, to gather dust on a forgotten shelf?

Goodbye might make it easier, that I'd know that if it has ended the chapter closed, instead I wander whether I really saw him, a glimpse in a crowded platform that for a moment seeped away to leave just us standing at a station outside time... or a word to say, time's needed, a digestion, a... a... pause...

Did i do something wrong?

have i misunderstood?

was it something i said?

..............................................................is this it?

0 Comments:

<< Home

Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.